7/17/2005

Who wants some?

While visiting in NH, Ethan acquired all manner of wonderful, new playthings from his doting grandparents, aunts and uncles. One of the gifts he received from Grandma Murray was the game Candy Land, a Winnie the Pooh version. Today I decided to see if Ethan has what it takes to master such a game. He did pretty well with turn taking, moving his piece to the correct color and generally following directions. While trying to keep my enthusiasm for our never-ending quest to join Pooh and friends at his birthday picnic (the winner gets to sit with the Pooh friends on their "blanket"), I began to stifle my yawns while stealing furtive glances at the nearest reading material. This turned out to be the game manual. Of course, at the same time, I was feeling, as always, ravenously hungry.

It was in this state of mind that my eye happened to fall upon a recipe on the back of the manual for POOH HUNNY TRUFFLES. My first glance at the ingredients gave me some pause because I just could not imagine the final form they would take but, blame it on extreme Candy Land boredom. I decided to try it. Besides, how can you go wrong with peanut butter, honey, confectioners'sugar and milk chocolate morsels?

So, with some trepidation I mixed up a batch of Pooh's truffles. They had to chill in the fridge for 2 hours but after about an hour and a half we just HAD to sample them. Keith said, "Well, they taste good for the first few seconds..." Really, too much of a good thing does become a Very Bad Thing indeed. Sickly sweet. And their appearance alone is enough to banish even my appetite. Judge for yourself...and never trust Winnie the Pooh.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh d-d-deeeeear! Wait, that's Piglet's line...I mean OH BOTHER! Ga-ROSSSS! I thought they were June bugs at first...=)...and that maybe one had made its home in your ear or something. (Hi, Bria, I'm Janelle...I don't believe we've met!)

the Joneses said...

The recipe looks deadly. That's cool that you tried it, though; trying new stuff is fun!

--DJ

Claire said...

Wow...that picture sort of made me feel attracted and repulsed at the same time...sort of a morbid curiosity...I wonder how many other bored, hungry mothers fell into the same trap as they played Pooh's Candy Land with their offspring...?

Booker said...

I was drinking some soda when I saw the pix. I spit it back. Those look atrocious! My sympathies...

Anonymous said...

Height of hilarity...I'll have to say, I probably would
have been taken in too, by the sound of the recipe.
If all those things taste good by themselves then how can they not taste even better when mixed together? That sounds like Daddy logic:) (his style of cooking, at least)....

Loreo said...

Did Ethan like them? They look kinda like Pooh patties--you know--like cow patties? Argh!

ljm said...

No--even Ethan was repulsed by them and made an awful face...Pooh patties indeed!

brilynne said...

Liane, those are incredibly amazing.

Hi, Janelle, I don't believe we have met, although I do remember someone telling me, "That's Janelle." Despite that, I don't quite remember who you are. :-) Nice to meet you, too!

Booker said...

Pooh patties. Now that perfectly describes the pix of those things...

Anonymous said...

They look like mudpies to me. And whew, NOW I know what it's like to enjoy funny blogs at the library!

-Lisa

Kate said...

disgusting! I wonder who made up that recipe. It reminds me of when we were kids and Mom would let us go into the kitchen to make 'mixtures'. That meant we took whatever ingredients struck our fancy, mixed them up, ate them raw, or baked them in the oven. Some pretty horrid things come out of those sessions. This looks pretty close!

the Joneses said...

Completely off the topic, I'm so impressed that Ethan played Candy Land. Neither of my kids has any notion of a "game," especially not the fact that you're SUPPOSED to be heading for the end. Candy Land is even more interminable when there isn't even any point to it.

-- SJ

Unknown said...

Loved the entry about Candy Land. Could I have the complete recipe for the truffles? The page is cut off and my little guy REALLY wants to make them. Thanx!