3/07/2007

Call me Holly Hobby


















In spite of the lack of reports, I have been working here and there on various projects.

Top left is my progress on Baby Tart hat. This pattern is a killer on the fingers. I blame you Cristina for any repetitive stress injuries I incur! But I know it will be a cute one, so I persevere. Slowly.

I've been tired of the curtains in our living room for a while but wasn't sure if I could justify getting new ones at this point since there's nothing at all wrong with the old ones. Yesterday I had a fit of inspiration, and after seeing this picture I decided to attempt making curtains myself.

I had some old fabric, bought back in the days of my OT fieldwork. I lived in tiny, cold and ugly cell rooms in medical student dorms. Three months in Providence, RI and three months in Canton, MA as my will to live was ground down daily into the cold tile of hospital rooms and under the fists of my supervisors. Ok, a little dramatic but definitely some of the worst stress of my life. In an anxiety induced psychosis, I ran out to buy beautiful fabric with hopes of transforming my living space. I'm not sure when I thought I'd be able to sew since I barely had time to eat in those days but, as you might guess, no curtains ever appeared.

And my last little knit project which is coming along nicely is Top Secret. A gift for a friend of mine who is way too smart and will figure it all out instantly. Shhhh....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are superwoman, where do you find the time? I feel lucky to get a shower these days. All of your stuff is so beautiful but I still must say the cargo pants are my FAVE!

kat said...

Good for you. I made some curtains out of some old bed sheets I had that I didn't use anymore. They turned out pretty good, very simple looking.

ljm said...

No superwoman here...I've been working on those small knitting projects for a long time. I only knit at night after the kids are in bed while watching a movie or show or something.
Katina--the curtains in the picture that inspired me were recycled bed sheets too. Great idea...Mine don't look great up close--kind of crooked but the whole house is crooked so they fit.

JJ said...

Shhhhhhh...

ljm said...

Not saying NOTHIN.

Claire said...

Dear Holly Hobby, the curtains are great! You know those curtains in my dining room? I bought them at target right before Christmas...And now they have cat claw holes in them. Yes, Stan is literally climbing the walls...or rather the curtains. Maybe I should invest in some material and make some curtains like you...

Booker said...

Who's Holly Hobby? Sounds suspicious to me...

ljm said...

Actually, I spelled it wrong...it's Holly Hobbie I guess and if you were a girl growing up in the 70's you would know who she is! I think I had a HH pillowcase. She has a big bonnet and I'm not sure what she's all about really but the word Hobby was what I latched onto here. So now you know.

kat said...

If you go onto NIckjr.come they have holly hobbie games the kids can play. Alan will actually play sometimes, don't tell Ronny.

Susan Elizabeth said...

Isn't it amazing how many of us have used bed sheets for curtains?! It is a great idea! And speaking as a "girl" who actually grew up in the 70s, I do remember Holly Hobbie...she is a far cry from the BRATZ dolls today! Nothing suspicious there!
You go, Holly!! (ljmax)

Anonymous said...

ooo come on...whats a little carpel tunnel for the sake of high fashion of the wee ones?
ha! this reminds me...i need curtains too....