3/17/2010

That which we call spaghetti

I don't have any of the fancy attachments or gadgets to crank out homemade pasta but it's something I've always wanted to try. Inspired by reports of those who did it all by hand, and aided by this book, I finally took the plunge yesterday.

The dough is really quite simple-just a mix of eggs and flour although the consistency is a little tricky. I think my dough was a little too tough because it was difficult for me to roll it as thin as I wanted.


















After the dough sat for an hour it was just a matter of rolling it out and cutting. Something Ethan gladly helped me with. I knew it was probably going to be too thick in spite of our efforts to cut thin pieces.

















The book was a little vague about cooking times but I approximated based on pasta of a similar size. If there is such a thing.






















To be honest, it was disgusting. Really doughy and thick and almost inedible. But! I learned a valuable secret. If you call something spaghetti, my boys will consume it, love it and ask for seconds!






















Although at one point, Drew did say, "Something tastes funny." Oh yeah, probably the garlic bread, Drew.

7 comments:

lis said...

This made me chuckle. Little boys are the best!

And hmm, if you have pasta questions, my sister Sarah makes it regularly at the restaurant where she works. Just a thought.

ljm said...

Ooh, thanks Lisa! I should get her input for sure.

Keith said...

What? You wait until I'm gone to make pasta! Looks good to me.

TheLab said...

I expected it all to be reported as: perfect. When you said it was disgusting, I cracked up. However, the best part was "something tastes funny." THAT keeps making me laugh!

Totally the garlic bread ;)

Emma Christensen said...

I'm highly concerned about your homemade pasta experience. Homemade pasta is (or, should be) the bomb! I just made a big batch for a dinner party - 3 eggs, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, whiz in food processor until crumbly, then knead for 10 minutes. It was great! Please tell me you'll try making it again!

ljm said...

I am definitely going to try it again! I've heard so many people rave about fresh pasta and I really think it must be a matter of rolling the dough thinner. Do you have a pasta machine, Emma, or roll it by hand?

Heidi said...

Are you kidding me, Liane? Homemade pasta? I don't think we can be friends anymore.