6/04/2007

Baby knits

Inspired first by this ripply afghan, and later by all the many ripple patterns over here,I've decided to get back to my crocheting roots and work on a ripple baby blanket. I'm using the Soft Waves pattern from Jan Eaton's ripple stitch pattern book. I had a lot of trouble with it at first and was glad to pick the brain of my crocheting mother-in-law when she was out for a visit. Together we puzzled over the pattern, tried various stitches and finally, with a lot of help from the internets, figured it out.

I've still managed to make some classic errors and some of the rows don't look as wavy as others but it's coming along ok. I love the way the whole thing changes when I add a color. I'd forgotten how much faster crocheting is, as opposed to knitting. Very satisfying. Here's my progress so far:













Another baby pattern I've wanted to attempt for a long time is the kimono from my trusty Mason-Dixon Knitting book. I'm using Mission Falls cotton. I think the color is Graphite but I've lost the label as usual.

6 comments:

Kate said...

I think you are the only person I know who can both knit and crotchet. Most people can only do one or the other. That puts you in the category of extra cool. :-)

Anonymous said...

i like the colors you've been picking lately.
p.s. are you preggers?
sorry, had to ask!

ljm said...

Thanks guys...Yes, Cristina I am over 6 months along. I guess I don't mention it much here..I think maybe just once a couple months ago.

Stephanie said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one that misplaces every ball band to every ball of yarn I own. I always have a vague notion of what the color was called....but I can never find the band :o)

The blanket is going to look great. I'm totally jealous. My crochet skills consiste of a single chain stitch for a cord for those little sachets!! And just to answer your question...no one taught me how to embroider. I bought a totally cool 70's book at the thrift store and just looked through it and have been learning as I've been going. It's lots of fun :o)

Stephanie said...

ACK! Stupic blogger won't give me your email to answer your comment on my blog. The bird I embroidered is outlined in chain stitch. Hope that helps! Email me directly if'n ya want. Snuffywumpatcomcastdotnet.

Anonymous said...

I love that blanket Liane! It's so beautiful. And I didn't know you owned the Mason-Dixon knitting book: that's great!

I feel like some kind of benefactress because I introduced the book to Bria (thanks to having heard of it here, and then found it at the Dublin Library). They are such engaging writers I used to regularly read their blog even though I don't know how to knit and probably never will!