10/26/2007

Getting out

I wasn't sure if I would attempt the "Fall Festival" put on by Ethan's school this year but there's just something about the pull of annual tradition I have a hard time resisting. My only hesitation was that Keith generally works in the evenings and tonight was no exception.

Probably silly to even attempt it but we did it and it went ok. Drew sat stunned in the double stroller in an old dog costume of Ethan's and Adam, dressed as a frog in another Ethan cast-off, slept most of the time.

Ethan had the most fun, trying his hand at the many ball-toss type events and bouncing in the various large inflatable stations, smiling and shouting as he came across friends from school.

I always forget how insanely loud that place is or I probably wouldn't even go. The main events are in the gym and for some unknown reason, they have music playing at such a volume that you are forced to YELL right in people's faces to be heard. Makes me want to climb out of my skin. As if a hundred or so kids in a gym aren't loud enough all on their own. I don't get it.













I guess it was good for one thing because it drowned out Adam's screeching near the end. We said our goodbyes, grabbed the all important cotton candy (soon to be smeared on every surface of the van and house, thank you Drew) and traveled the blessedly short distance home.

Man, making memories is hard work for uptight people like me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your a good mom it is hard work but it will pay off in the end. in a few years you and the children will have forgotten all the really bad and/or painful parts and only have happy memories.
love ya
Jen

Anonymous said...

sorry i used the wrong your it is supposed to be you're

still love ya
Jen

Anonymous said...

You're a brave soul. Hope you had fun, we missed going this year, weren't sure if we were still allowed now that we have gone to the dark side, also known as public schools.

JJ said...

Go, Liane, go!

kw said...

come on, Drew. Enough messes already...Love the 'candy floss' pic as they say here...

Lori said...

Candy floss! Yay!! Fall Festivals are extremely exhausting, oh my word!!! Gonna skip our church's this year.

Anonymous said...

"Makes me want to climb out of my skin." I'm with you on that one! I also have often wondered why people feel obligated to blast deafening music at an event where everyone is already making so much noise you have to shout to be heard...

I'm glad you got a change of scenery and lived to tell us about it : )

the Joneses said...

Yay Liane! Good for you to go and Ethan have fun even when you don't. And good for you to let Drew have cotton candy, which is very important for childhood development.

-- SJ