6/05/2008

Adam is nine months






















My mind starts to wander when people discuss their child's developmental milestones in great detail. So briefly: TEETH (almost!) and CRAWLING (just beginning), CRYING (constant) and a whole week of sleeping through the night!

He's also at that stage where babies find the most miniscule, crumb-sized treasure on the floor and work and work to pick it up and, if no one intervenes, eat it. The other day I wondered aloud, "Why do babies always reach for such tiny objects?" Ethan answered, "Probably because they have such tiny eyes."

5 comments:

Stoneslinger said...

I was delighted to see the photo of Adam exploring the world in front of him, the blades of grass on that particular day. Your question and Ethan's response make so much sense. One of my friends, a songwriter, tells a story of a time while driving through the Alps, he took a break at a rest stop. While lying on the grass looking at the glamorous mountains all around him, he rolled over and started examining the grass in front of him. He then began to notice the smell of...dirt. Of earth. And recognized that that smell, and those blades of grass were probably exactly the same as God had created them millenia before now...He also told me about a time he was in Rome, and like most of the tourists, visited the Sistene chapel, an amazing place, where everyone cranes their necks continuously stares as the frescos and architectural scenes all over the ceilings, but he chose to examine the least noticed floors in the world. He has some beautiful stories that come from those two occasions, but I just wanted to say how Adam's exploring reminded me of that, and how grateful I am for the simple things in life that we overlook, because we are so busy being worried about the impending future we cannot even see or adequately plan for...

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't find anything odd in his diaper as a direct result of him finding new things to put in his mouth :) SO happy to hear there has been a full night's sleep. Now THAT is a milestone!

kw said...

Rob, u rule!

valsue said...

He looks so sqeezabely sqeezeable-- reminds me of myself. Ha Ha

Shari said...

That's exactly what Maisy does! Find the most miniscule objects. It's so cute. And she eats them, if I don't catch her first.