7/04/2009

Happy Fourth!















I was realizing the other day how much attention we (I) tend to give to silly holidays like Halloween and Valentine's Day. All the time, energy, money and seasonal crafts in honor of... not much, really. On the other hand, we don't tend to do much of anything on the fourth of July other than a barbecue. Is it because patriotism is just not cool? When did flag-waving become synonymous with ignorant, boorish fanaticism?

Well, this year I'm making more of an effort. Even with Keith working much of the day, we're going to pull out all the stops and celebrate. I may even try my hand at some (LEGAL) explosives. Get out your fire extinguishers.

















John Adams had a few ideas about how this event might be commemorated through the ages. "It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more." The only thing he left out was the cake.


















Happy Independence Day from all of us flag-wavers!

4 comments:

KJ said...

Yeah!! Happy to join in celebrating our wonderful country!! And beautiful patriotic boys :)

drewey fern said...

Yay! Good job, Liane - for what it's worth, I support this idea whole-heartedly!

Patrick Randall said...

I hope Drew's shirt says "Old Navy" and not "U.S. Navy"...

gretchen said...

Speaking of Drew, he looks distinctly like Andrew in this last picture! As I was scrolling down to it, I subconsciously thought "Andrew" before I really tuned in...Something about the shape of the head? The angle? I don't know. Nice, anyway.