7/03/2009

Filling Summer: Week 3















Yesterday, the kids and I tried our hand at making some "bird cookies". I was a little dubious about how this might work but either way, I figured, kids enjoy measuring, pouring, mixing and using cookie cutters.















This recipe calls for flour, water, corn syrup and birdseed.

















Mmmm...there were far too many times I walked by this cookie sheet as the 'cookies' dried for hours and felt a brief lift of excitement at the possibility of something good to eat. So sad.






















The trickiest part was transferring the shapes to a drying sheet. The mixture was a sticky mess and would have been tough for a child to keep intact.






















After they dried for hours, they did firm up quite a bit. Next time I might add some peanut butter for a little more 'glue'. Reminds me of another great bird recipe we had success with long ago.

In the end, I got lazy and threw the rest in a big mesh bag. I think the birds will forgive me.

3 comments:

kw said...

so did the birds like em?

ljm said...

The jury is still out...a few birds have pecked at em but they don't seem to be a huge draw. I'm thinking the seed may be too stuck together for them to pry apart.

gretchen said...

Charming!